Sunday 2 May 2010

Music, Lyrics and Reactions

Reading CSRs last I was reminded of some pieces of music that make me think of different times in my life.

The Last Post being played at Remembrance never fails to bring me to the position where I stand, at attention, wearing my medals and my beret, convincing myself that I'm not crying when tears stream down my face.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to write up a piece of these - feel free to add your own in the commentary.

Get Here - Oleta Adams

The US claimed this as their unofficial theme tune to Granby and it's also got lines which make me think back to this time. Examples include:

"cross the desert like an Arab man"

and (particularly relevant)

"cross the border in a blaze of hope"

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits

Naturally, even the title's a dead give away of this being a soldiers' song but it's still a good tune and I can't hear it without a shiver going down my spine. Again, as well as the tune it's also got the lyrics, examples of which would be:

"Through these fields of destruction / Baptisms of fire"

and

"I've witnessed your suffering / As the battled raged higher"

and (particularly relevant, given that it was the Army v Navy rugby yesterday when serving and former soldiers, sailors and airmen get together socially)

"And though they did hurt me so bad / In the fear and alarm / You did not desert me / My brothers in arms"

Queen - Who Wants to Live Forever?

Again this song is pre-1991 but has a real resonance for many of us who have suffered from MH concerns in the past and especially for those of us who've had a run in with the reaper, especially when at our own hand.

All of the lyrics of this work for me so I won't quote any in particular, but I was pallbearer for a friend who'd died at his own hand as a direct consequence of our service on Granby and he'd insisted that this be played at his funeral.

Not a dry eye in the house, as they say.

Runrig - That Final Mile

I made a huge mistake some years ago and inadvertently hurt a number of people when I did. I would say that I regret it every day but the verb "regret" doesn't nearly do justice to it. The first song at our (short) wedding was this and the final verse is:

"Now the hurt has gone / Now the doubt has gone / I'm walking down / A clear way to your heart"



No comments:

Post a Comment