Thursday 6 May 2010

May 6th 2010 - Election Day

In the spirit of impartiality I'm not going to start banging-on about the fact that people should vote one way or the other. Your vote is yours, and the way you vote is a secret, held in three places - between you, the ballot box and your conscience.

For those of us who at 0838Z have not voted yet, I would ask this however: whichever way you vote, please - PLEASE - vote.

Many millions gave their all for us to have the right to free and fair elections - and to thank them today, all you have to do is pop down to your nearest polling station and make a cross in a box.

I forget the author but someone wrote the following stanza and it's particularly apposite today:

When you return
tell them of us and say
"For your tomorrow
We gave our today"

I, CSR and millions of others continue to suffer ill-health as a consequence of our service. When you're considering which charity to support - try a veterans' organisation and, if I may be so bold as to ask your indulgence - Combat Stress are particularly good. Go, look 'em up. They've been working to help veterans for nearly 100 years and are a truly brilliant organisation.

2 comments:

  1. An excellent post John. I shall be putting that on my Facebook page in a while. I've had a google and found that it's known as the Kohima Epitaph:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kohima

    Another battle of WWII I shall have to read up on.

    I shall also be popping over to the Combat Stress pages and signing up to help their support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angry Frank beat me to identifying the quote. It's a good one for today.

    Good message.

    ReplyDelete